CANADA ISRAEL EXPERIENCE: BIRTHRIGHT ISRAEL LEADERSHIP PROGRAM
Applications for the 2019-2020 Madrichim In Training program are now OPEN!
We will accept applications on a rolling basis until they close on July 29th or until we reach our maximum capacity
Want to staff a Birthright Israel trip with Canada Israel Experience (CIE)?
If you are interested in applying for the Canada Israel Experience Madrichim in Training Program, please read the FAQ below to learn more about the program.
How old do I have to be?
The minimum age requirement for this program is 21 years old pending your Israel experience. Please not the age requirements change for different trips.
Do I have to live in Canada?
You must be a permanent resident of Canada so that you can participate in all pre and post trip activities in your community.
Do I need to have gone to Israel before?
You must have been to Israel at least once before (not necessarily on a Birthright Israel trip) in order to apply; the more Israel experiences you have under your belt, the better!
How much do I need to know about Judaism?
Madrichim (staff/leaders) are expected to have a basic understanding of Jewish terms, traditions, and history. This knowledge can come from either formal (i.e. day school, courses) or informal (camp, Israel trips) experiences. An eagerness to learn and explore is greatly valued- We’ll teach you the rest!
Do I need to speak Hebrew?
While knowledge of Hebrew is an asset, it is not required.
What are other skills/experience are important to my application?
We look for candidates who have experience in leading projects with their peers and who demonstrate involvement in the Jewish or general community. Madrichim candidates are expected to be able to develop and facilitate programs for their participants. Creativity, maturity, flexibility, passion, enthusiasm and organizational skills are all important aspects of being a madrich/a.
What is the application process?
– Online application: all applicants must submit a personal photo (sized 2×3 photo), a personal video (max 60 seconds), resume and a completed application in order to be considered.
– Interview: We thank you for your interest, however only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted starting in August. Where possible, applicants will have an in-person interview. If this is not feasible, a phone/skype interview may be arranged.
– Applicants will be notified regarding their status in the program by September 2019
– Mandatory Training Retreat: approximately 100 applicants from across Canada will be invited to attend an intensive, four-day seminar in the Laurentian Mountains (Date in October TBD).
If I am accepted to the Madrichim in Training (MIT) program, what kind of time commitment is involved during the year?
- The Madrichim Training program is a comprehensive leadership development program that requires participation in supplemental training over the course of 8 months
- You will be asked to assist the marketing and registration teams in promoting, and recruiting participants for Birthright Israel trips.
- Madrichim are expected to be active members of their local Jewish community. Different communities have different expectations as to what this involves.
- Once you have led a trip, you are also expected to help your participants connect with their local communities. This can be done through a variety of ways and will be facilitated through your local post programming team or Israel Experience professional.
If I am chosen to join the Madrichim team, am I guaranteed to staff a trip?
Staff are determined based on availability, participant geography (i.e. Montreal staff will staff a bus of Montreal participants) and community involvement. While we try our best to staff eligible madrichim within one year, sometimes this is not possible due to timing or low enrollment.
**Please note that CIE reserves the right to revoke madrichim status at any point based on inappropriate behaviour or insufficient commitment to the program.**
How far in advance will I be notified about leading a trip?
Trip dates are confirmed six to eight weeks prior to departure. We try to notify madrichim as soon as possible so that they can prepare appropriately.
When and where can I apply?
You can apply onlineNOW. We interview applicants on a rolling basis throughout the summer, so we suggest you apply asap for your best chance to be interviewed. We can close the application at any point during the summer if we feel we have enough applicants.
For more information or if you have any questions, please contact:
416-398-6931 Ext. 5102